Web hosting is the service of providing some space for a website or application for others to access on the internet. When you sign up for hosting service, basically you rent some space on a server on which you can store all of your files and data necessary for your website or application to work properly.
Web server is a physical computer that runs without any interception so that your website is available all the time for anyone who surfs on the internet. Its web host responsibility for keeping the server up and running, protecting it against malicious attacks, and transferring your valuable content (text, images, files, etc.) from the server to your visitors.
How Web Hosting Works?
When it’s time for you to start a new website, you need to find a hosting company that provides server space. Your web host stores all your folders, files, assets, and databases on the server. Whenever someone types your domain name into the address bar to see the content in your site, your host transfers all the files necessary to fulfill the request.
Web hosting is like housing rentals, you have to pay the rent regularly to keep the server running up your site continuously. You need to choose a hosting plan that best matches your needs.
How to choose the best web hosting package?
Nowadays many companies provide hosting services. To know which one would be right for you, you need to have some questions in your mind i.e.
What kind of website do you want to host online:
- A Blog
- A News Website
- An E-commerce Portal and so on…
This will gives you a clear idea about how much web traffic you expect monthly and how robust the infrastructure required to host your website, should be.
- What do you want to achieve from your website? How fast do you see yourself expanding the online business?
- How much hand-holding do you need?
The answers you get will determine how much you need of the following from your hosting provider:
- Storage space
- Control–is it important to have root control of your server?
- Cost–how much are you willing to spend or need to spend?
Analyze these functional areas before getting started with any hosting company
Investigate their performance by:
- Uptime – Do they claim at least a 99% uptime? Where their servers are located?
- Years – In the industry-How old they are in the industry one way to determine their credibility
- Support – Does the company have 24X7 support with professional to assist you?
- Related Products – Go with a web hosting company that offers you other related web service products too such as email, security, and backup services. Getting it all in one place could reduce the cost & time coordinating with the different hosting service providers.
- Backup Services – Do they offer regular backups?
- Mobile Access – Do you have the option to access the control panel from a device on the go?
What are the web hosting options available today?
You can choose any of the options that match your need:
1- Shared Hosting – Affordable
It is the most affordable hosting plan as your server space is shared by other websites. If you have a blog or a small business that is just starting out, Shared Hosting is a good option to go with. It’s quite simple and easy-to-use.
- It’s Affordable
- It’s Manageable And Convenient
- It Can Be Customized For Your Needs
- You Will Share Resources
- You May Be Exposed to Security Vulnerabilitie
2- VPS Hosting – High Stability
VPS is a more advanced form of shared hosting. In this, you are assigned resources that are not shared with other properties but you share a server with other websites. If you cannot afford a dedicated server, VPS is best to go
- Dedicated Resources
- Costs more expensive than shared hosting
- Need more technical skills to manage VPS server
3- Dedicated Hosting – Dedicated Server
In a dedicated hosting plan, you have your physical server that’s dedicated solely to your site. Therefore, it gives you incredible flexibility. You can configure your server, choose the operating system and software you want to use, and set up the whole hosting environment according to your needs.
- Root access to your server
- Full control over server configuration
- Good reliability
- High security
- High cost
- Need more technical skills to manage dedicated server
4- Cloud Hosting – Website Live 24/7
Cloud hosting is the most reliable solution on the market, as it comes with little to no downtime. When you have cloud hosting, your host provides you with a cluster of servers. Your files and resources are copied on each server. When one of the cloud servers has some issue or busy, your traffic is automatically routed to another server in the cluster.
- More scalable than a VPS
- Pay as you go pricing
- Server failures have no effect on your site
- Root access is not always provided
- Hard to estimate the costs
5- Reseller Hosting – For Hosting Business
If you wish to start a hosting business, buying Reseller Hosting enables you to rent out or re-sell the same hosting services provided by the parent hosting company. With Reseller Hosting, you can also upsell any other web service provided by the parent web host.
- More flexibility and freedom
- server maintained by parent company
- Your services are limited
6- WordPress Hosting – Only For WordPress Site
If you wish to start a website on WordPress, it is recommended to go with WordPress hosting package as your server is configured specifically for WordPress and your site comes with pre-installed plugins for crucial things like security and caching. Due to the highly optimized configuration, your site loads much faster.
- Low cost
- One-click WordPress installation
- Good performance for WordPress sites
- Recommended only for WordPress sites